Re: Bufferbloat explained (was: Linux Meetup on this Saturday)

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 09:40:41 -0700

Hi Logan, Ish,
At 08:36 AM 8/29/2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>Games, voip and skype are much better now. I get less complaints
>from my family regarding Internet Connectivity.

Ok.

>Concerning the relevance of IETF standards to this effort, Ish asked
>a question regarding the relevance and applicability of standards in
>the IT world today. I disagreed with him, as I saw that CISCO,
>Juniper, and the other big companies are fighting tooth and nail to
>influence the IETF standards, and therefore the market itself.

Standards are generally used when we purchase hardware or
software. Some people tend to choose a brand instead of thinking
about compatibility. If a software supports a standard I can
determine whether that software will be compatible with other
software in my company or software used by other companies my company
works with.

I recall seeing a few French companies, e.g. Orange (France),
participating in the IETF. Large companies or companies which are
interested in the market generally require standards as their
products or services have to adhere to a level of quality. I'll use
an example; I could ask you to install a web server which supports
HTTPS or I could specify the security standards which the web server
should support. Which one is better?

>Ajay and a few other people asked about the availability of fq_codel
>directly from the ISP without the need to go for a 3rd party firmware.

People would have to ask the ISP whether the routers they are selling
support fd_codel.

At 08:42 AM 8/29/2015, Ish Sookun wrote:
>I am planning to, as Logan's presentation today was interesting. I
>have a spare router on which I can experiment if it's in the OpenWRT
>hardware list.

Ok.

>One question which I forgot to ask though, you said you're using the
>"La Fibre Livebox" in bridged mode, then for My.T TV you're still
>using the Livebox or you configured that in the TP-Link router?

It depends on whether the "Livebox" supports Bridge mode.

At 08:57 AM 8/29/2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>I think that we should organize a mini install fest for OpenWRT and
>Fq_codel on routers.

That's a good idea.