Re: OSI network stack

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 10:57:11 -0700

Hi Logan,
At 10:22 AM 8/28/2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>The OSI model is strongly present in the Educational Curriculum of
>emerging countries such as Mauritius. For some reason, that I cannot
>grasp, some people think that ITU drives Internet Protocol design.
>Some even think that IETF is part of ITU :)

The internet runs on TCP/IP. It has been like that since the last
century. The software I use does not implement the OSI model. It is
misguided to have the OSI model in a curriculum when the software
used is not based on that model. The input of the ITU for Internet
Protocol design is minimal at best. As for the IETF being part of
the ITU, I suggest verifying whether the person who said that can
read English for the Certificate of Primary Education correctly. :-)

>Through self-study, I was able to grasp the differences between ITU
>Protocol development mindset, and the Internet Protocol development mindset.

I suggest reading http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc1123.txt I
sometimes use some of the concepts in that RFC in (internet)
architecture discussions.