Re: quelques stats sur le mobile a Maurice

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 02:35:37 -0700

Hi Shelly,
At 11:08 PM 8/26/2015, SHELLY HERMIA BHUJUN wrote:
>I agree that not all local web sites have useful contents.
>Maybe it's all about the culture and the approach to tackle
>feedback. People are most of the time defensive when you
>share your opinion about something they created or organized
>rather than discussing on how they can improve.

Yes.

>We have been discussing security and phishing problems
>and I do not recall receiving a mail from one of those
>companies who said 'thank you' or who contacted us to
>understand the impact of that particular issue.
>They would rather remain silent or ignore mails.
>It is even more disappointing when you relate technical
>issues to Government Officials and they ignore mails and
>end up talking about 'Mauritius, a Cyber-Island'.

It is better not to be discouraged by "email problems" in Mauritius. :-)

>Some people buy smartphones to be able to fit in society because owning
>the latest devices is the trend. Use a Nokia 3310 and you will feel like an
>outcast- it may sound hard but it's true even though the lifetime of
>that Nokia
>device is better than smartphones.

The battery life of the Nokia 3310 is over 55 hours. It has a 1.5"
display with a resolution of 84 x 48. The Nokia Lumia has a 5"
display with a resolution of 1280 x 720. The Nokia 3310 is useful if
you are using that mobile phone as a phone only. It is easier to
read information on the Nokia Lumia.

>Devices are mostly purchased for basic activities (Phone calls, SMS, taking
>pictures, agenda etc). People would rely on using laptops and computers
>since they perform better regarding specific tasks.Or, maybe you meant using
>the device-smartphone to it's full potential?
>How buying a smartphone makes us more productive?

I could use a phone with basic features if I am only making phone
calls or sending SMS. A smartphone can be used to get information or
share information without hindering mobility. Having a smartphone
does not make me productive. It is the ability to access useful
information with a smartphone which makes it a smart phone. We could
discuss about this during the weekly chat.