Re: Review of Paper on Changes to Book III of Criminal Code

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 04:38:50 +0000

On Sat, Aug 22, 2015 at 9:30 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> Hi Ashweenee,
>
> I did a review of the paper on changes to Book III of Criminal Code (
> http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/changes-book-iii-criminal-code-cybercrime-review.html
> ). I would like to have your feedback about that.
>
> Regards,
> S. Moonesamy

The proposed Section 369D is as follows:
A person who, without lawful authority, imports, possesses, offers,
transfers or makes available any equipment, instrument, computer programme
or information created or specially adapted to commit one or more of the
offences prohibited by sections 369A to 369C, is punished by the penalties
prescribed for the offence itself, or the one that carries the heaviest
penalty

Some software are classified as dual-use items. For example, Nmap
<http://www.elandsys.com/%7Esm/changes-book-iii-criminal-code-cybercrime-review.html#4>
("Network Mapper") is a free and open source (license) utility for network
discovery and security auditing. Many systems and network administrators
also find it useful for tasks such as network inventory, managing service
upgrade schedules, and monitoring host or service uptime. The proposed
changes makes it illegal to store a copy of the software. The explanation
for this section states that the intent is to make posession of a virus
illegal. It will no longer be possible for researchers to analyze malware
once this section is part of the law.

Hi. I am have written an nmap extension for testing OpenSSL vulnerabilities
on my own servers. Through that script, I know if one of my
equipment/machines is vulnerable, and can take remedial actions.

(OpenSSL is a security technology which is used for securing websites).

See here:

http://seclists.org/nmap-dev/2014/q2/475

In the US and EU, this is not illegal. That section definitely looks like a
step backward.