Re: Open Data - catalyst

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.mu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 15:03:11 +0400

Hi SM,

On 7/30/15 2:13 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> You may have seen the question about what could the government do to
> catalyst an "apps economy". I don't see Open Data as directly related
> to an "apps economy". However, it could serve as a catalyst for that.
> Open Data does not work whether there isn't a Freedom of Information Act.

Yes, I have seen the email. I haven't responded to it yet. I am working
on some of the open data stuffs on my own at the moment. I will reply
the email regarding apps I know of.

> I am not sure whether to suggest having the Act as a catalyst as it is
> not clear whether it is related to the internet in Mauritius. In
> addition, there hasn't been any interest in that.

FIA could catalyze release of data but as you mention that is not
directly related to the internet in Mauritius. Maybe unless, if we think
in terms of web apps made out of Open Data.

> What is your opinion about the above?

I will send more about the topic in the coming days. I have a backlog &
catching up with them at the moment.

Cheers,

--
​Ish Sookun