Re: Use of University mail

From: <cedric_at_jcplaboratory.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2015 20:03:10 +0000

Hi Ish,

>Mauritius Internet Users take a stand when there are issues affecting internet in Mauritius. MIU != Social Network, MIU != A website We expect students to contribute at some time and not just keep "learning by observing".

Exactly, and contributing does not break any law. Students should be able to use whichever email they choose too. Contribution does not depend on the email they use.

>For that matter, there is the web archive. Having students who are eager to learn and engage in discussions will be both beneficial to MIU and the universities.

How will their opinion be beneficial to the universities? Their opinion belongs to them right not to the university. Do not forget that emails offered by these institutions are services.

> I do not see any university being uncomfortable to have its students discussing innovation & advancement on the internet.

The university do not even has its place here. Its the involvement of the student not the university.

> Keep in mind that MIU is not only about problems related to internet in Mauritius. Issues != Problems Discussing how to achieve 100Mbps local access and its advantages is not categorized as a "problem". I do not think a university would stop its students from participating in such a discussion.

Why again is the university getting into this? It's their opinion, their solution, thier point of view what is the relation of the university pertaining to this?

>We are not discussing university issues. Students are only requested to use their university email address for subscription.

Why? I mean what's the logic? Their opinions belongs to them. Not the institution. If a student write to the MIU about his university on something that he is not supposed to what difference does it make whether he uses personal or university email it will be still considered as IPR infrigement.

>Something related to the subscription on MIU would not be off-topic.

You are right.

>Then what is the problem? I still find hard to believe why some people are so emotional about their email address. It gives me the feeling that emails are not used as they should be in Mauritius. It's like the same as asking someone if he/she uses the Internet and the answer comes, "yes, I use Google and Facebook"

The problem is not about the usage of the university assigned email but about the freedom to choose which email I want to.

P.S: Guys am off capacity. We continue this tomorrow will you. I am going to watch a movie don't disturb please. :-P

Good morning by the way it's 00:02.

Regards,

Cédric Poottaren

Software developer

http://jcplaboratory.org

On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 12:01 PM -0700, "Ish Sookun" <ish_at_hacklog.mu> wrote:
Hi Cédric,

On 7/18/15 10:23 PM, cedric_at_jcplaboratory.org wrote:

> For such a reason, you guys have taken a decision to make students use
> their University email address?

It appears like students are still not looking at that to their advantage.

> Why do websites, forums etc put/write and setup "Terms of Use" and other
> Policies pertaining to content and information that users publish on
> their website/forums?
>
> Do they request their users to use specific email address?

Mauritius Internet Users take a stand when there are issues affecting
internet in Mauritius. MIU != Social Network, MIU != A website

We expect students to contribute at some time and not just keep
"learning by observing". For that matter, there is the web archive.
Having students who are eager to learn and engage in discussions will be
both beneficial to MIU and the universities. I do not see any university
being uncomfortable to have its students discussing innovation &
advancement on the internet.

Keep in mind that MIU is not only about problems related to internet in
Mauritius.

Issues != Problems

Discussing how to achieve 100Mbps local access and its advantages is not
categorized as a "problem". I do not think a university would stop its
students from participating in such a discussion.

> Is the MIU about internet related issues in Mauritius or about
> Universities?

We are not discussing university issues. Students are only requested to
use their university email address for subscription.

> Aren't these topic about universities, email address etc considered
> off-topics for the MIU?

Something related to the subscription on MIU would not be off-topic.

> Should we not remind subscribers raising such issues that the MIU is not
> the place?

Yes, people should be reminded at times if they go completely off-topic.

> No, I don't think so, using institution assigned email should not be a
> problem I believe.

Then what is the problem? I still find hard to believe why some people
are so emotional about their email address. It gives me the feeling that
emails are not used as they should be in Mauritius. It's like the same
as asking someone if he/she uses the Internet and the answer comes,
"yes, I use Google and Facebook".

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.