Re: Main Issue Regarding Open Source Software

From: <cedricpoottaren_at_outlook.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 08:09:48 +0000

Hi Abdallah,

Yes, the main reasons why businesses do not spread the use of OpenSource software within their organisation are because lack of support, unfixed bugs and other issues you have mentioned.

Hence, in order for them to ensure business continuity and to provide quality assurance to their customers they prefer to purchase/use products and services from renowed firms that provide those and most importantly provide almost immediate support for those services and products whenever a problem arises.

Take the UK government for example. (I think it's UK correct me if I am wrong) When MSFT ended up support for Windows XP, they were willing to pay Microsoft to keep them providing updates and support.

Coming back to OpenSource, a firm cannot afford to rely on community support which is common practice in the OpenSource world.

Regards,

Cédric Poottaren

Software developer

http://jcplaboratory.org

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 11:42 PM -0700, "Ish Sookun" <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:
Hi Abdallah

On 7/9/15 10:27 AM, Abdallah Ramsing wrote:

> What are your opinions on that?

My opinion would be more suited to a FOSS related mailing list. However,
since you raised the question on "cloud", well it could bring on a whole
different topic. Being on the cloud does not mean open, neither it means
closed.

Google Cloud is free but not open.
OwnCloud is free and it is open.

​Ish Sookun