Repost (edited) - Seeking Advice - (Defamation + ICTA + Embezzlement)

From: Akshay Ramdass <ignitemedialab_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 20:12:55 +0100

I've worked as a web developer in a startup company last year from July to
December. We never signed an agreement, he didn't keep his promises; of
employing more developers & increasing my salary and he kept increasing the
number of responsibilities I had to shoulder, so after those few months I
left the job. After approximately one month his business failed and the
company closed down as I was forecasting.

At the end of January I received an email + a menacing phone call and he
was asking me to come see him his office to discuss I don't know what and
return him two of his hard disks which remained with me. I ignored him and
that's it. * I know I did wrong and that's his property. *

P.S - He had left those hard disk with me back in November 2014 when I was
still working there. One was a corrupt hard disk and he had requested me to
try and recover his Data for him is possible. And the other was an 80 GB
hard disk which stayed with me when I upgraded one of his PC which I took
home and back to work. *I was dumb to consider those junk and ignore him. *

Some 4 Months later, I launched my website and started promoting myself as
a freelance web developer, 3-5 days later, on the 27th June 2015 he starts
spamming my Facebook page with comments and posts, takes a photo from my
album, post it to his wall and share the link to my website; He accuses me
of being a thief in all of these (says I'm a thief, fraud and that he's
sending me to jail, etc). I only noticed that on the 28th June 2015

On the 29th June 2015, I sent him a mail in which I demand explanations,
etc + proposes to hand over his hard disk to him in presence of the police
in a police station (so as he might not say I didn't return it). He replied
by asking me to come to Phoenix police station the next day, (it sounded
fishy, my intuition said so, well).

On the 30th June 2015, Instead, I went to the CCID of Port Louis and
explained of all it to them. They paid almost no attention to me and called
my ex boss on his cellular who said he had already lodge a complaint for
embezzlement against me. They called the police station of phoenix and
asked them to come fetch me at the CCID though there were no arrest warrant
or anything. The CCID gave me no time to speak, they didn't even take my
deposition and told me I had to come later if I wanted to lodge a complaint
for defamation.

Some minutes later the police of phoenix comes and fetch me and we leave
for phoenix police station. On arrival they have me wait until my ex boss
comes and I try and talk to him into solving this in a friendly manner
without him having to sue me and likewise for me. He says nothing and some
moments ago the police have him identify his hard disks, he categorically
refuses it's his hard disks and claims that the hard disks he handed over
to me was a new external hard disk and as for one he couldn't determine and
had to check them by connecting to his PC.

The police gives me no time to voice out what I had to say and they take
all my fingerprints and have me give a statement where I stated what I
explained above in this email. They tell me that they'll have to retain me
and that they have me go through a trial at the court the next day. I ask
them read his statement again and then I clicks in my brain that it was his
son who worked there too who had handed over the hard disk to me and it
belonged to him. *that's also what he said in his deposition, I argued as I
guessed I couldn't be retained as his son wasn't even here to lodge the
complaint nor to testify, I guess they knew they couldn't retain me and
they have my dad who came to meet me there sign some document in which they
say that they're liberating me on the condition that I should come to the
police station whenever I'm called for. (*His son is coming back to
Mauritius on 12th July 2015).

On 1st July 2015; I went to the Cyber Crime Unit and lodge a complaint
against my ex for defamation, I provided them with print screens of all the
posts + comments he had made + the urls to all the concerned posts/profile.
It's been a week already and nothing has been done, the post with my photo
is still on his wall and some days ago when I called their office, they
told me to report/remove the post/comments if I wanted but there might not
be an investigation afterwards if I do so, the only thing I could do would
be to wait some more.

I seriously don't know what to do, I mean he could remove the posts anytime
and claim that were screenshots were edited and then himself sue me for
false allegations. What should I do? Any help/Advice would be great, this
issue has taken my ability to sleep. "zzz"!