Re: Ads on websites in Mauritius

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 21:44:56 +0400

Hi Shelly,

On 06/27/2015 08:58 PM, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:

> Do the companies having websites in Mauritius have control over the ads
> appearing on their websites?

What you saw in that screenshot is a Google ad box.
Companies/individuals that allow Google ads on their website do not have
full control on what appears and when it appears.

I have Google ads on my blog. A few days ago, I learned that Google
enables all ad categories by default. There are general categories such
as apparel, finance, health etc. There are also sensitive categories
such as black magic & astrology, dating, politics, religion etc. I did
some search about these categories and how to block them when someone
pointed to me that "religious" ads appear on my website. That seemed to
make the person uncomfortable. I blocked the category as I do not want
my readers to feel uneasy with what appears on my site.

I haven't disabled the "dating" category. So the "download girlfriend"
options should also appear on hacklog.in too :-) Good luck to those
who'd try to download one.

One could not control either at what particular moment which particular
ad should appear. These are limitations in Google Adsense (the ad network).

Those who register to advertise on Google can select the country or
region in which they want their ads to display.

E.g Emtel ads would only be visible to people having an IP address that
is allocated to Mauritius. If someone from Mauritius uses a proxy or a
virtual private network and surfs the web through a non-Mauritian IP
address, he/she will less likely see Emtel or MCB ads.

I hope that answers your question.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.