Re: The story of the security-plagued cyberisland

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 07:37:58 +0400

Hello SM,

On 6/24/15 12:09 AM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Google would block the app. The company could also take legal action.

I believe Google would only block the app if the operations went against
its policy. There is a Torch [1] app at Google Play Store which is among
other apps that were blamed in the beginning of the year to contain
adware libraries and were controversial. Many such apps are still
available to download.

I used the word 'spam' in my previous comment, maybe that is why you
mentioned 'block'. If I'd cleverly not go against Google's policies and
still get my app installed in people's browsers; would Google still
block my app?

> I tried one of the software which you mentioned; it installed an Ask.com
> toolbar. I uninstalled the software. Although the toolbar no longer
> appears in the web browser the software is still enabled as an add-on in
> the web browser.

Thanks for sharing your mini-test result. This is what I expected from
people; to give a proper feedback from their experience. I could test
too, unfortunately, I need a Windows machine to run the .exe installer.
I'll test it on a Windows evaluation copy and let you know about my
experience :-)

> There will be questions if the traffic is considered as suspicious.

Yes.

> I don't have any data to explain why ask.com was listed 10th.

Okay. At least you voluntarily tested and reported.

> Here are the results for two searches:
>
> http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/search-20150623-ask-com.png
> http://www.elandsys.com/~sm/search-20150623-google.co.uk.png

The first half of both pages contain only ads.

[1]
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.surpax.ledflashlight.panel

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.