Re: The story of the security-plagued cyberisland

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 22:53:40 +0400

On 06/20/2015 10:34 PM, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:

> The average Mauritian who has a windows PC does not know what is Java
> :) In fact, A lot of people told me that they didn't install Java, and
> had the ask toolbar in their browsers :)

Java-applet support in browsers used to be a prerequisite during the
pre-instant-messengers era; that is when online chats happened through
Java based apps in browsers.

These days an online tool like a Youtube video downloader would also
require Java.

Besides Ask.com appears to be strong through its Ask Partner Network.
Symantec[1] also is in that network and includes the toolbar in its
products.

Symantec is reputed as an anti-virus company. Can we say it distributes
malware in its products?

[1] http://www.symantec.com/about/news/release/article.jsp?prid=20090203_01

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.