Re: Workshop on Open Data Readiness Assessment

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 22:12:44 +0400

Hi SM,

On 6/8/15 8:31 PM, S Moonesamy wrote:

> Mr Sookun asked a question as a representative of the Linux User Group
> Meta. I unfortunately did not write down what was said.

I introduced myself as a representative of the Linux User Group of
Mauritius. I then commented on the word "hackathon" as used by Ms Anat
Lewin in her presentation. I told her that I appreciated the use of the
word and that if a government agency would organize such an event it
would be called a "programming competition". I mentioned that "hackers"
are regarded as government enemies.

Then I asked whether there will be a public report published by the
World Bank following the assessment. I pointed out that earlier Ms Lewin
said the report is not a ranking system for Mauritius.

Ms Lewin replied that they will make the draft available to the
Mauritian government and it is up to the government to decide whether to
make it public or not.

My second question was directed to Ms Alla Morrison as she gave examples
on how the private sector could use open data. I said the question
should be rather how do we (private sector, user groups etc) get access
to Open Government Data and what guarantee do we have that the data will
be made available? I asked if anything was being done at policy level to
ensure access to Open Government Data.

Ms Morrison gave some clarification about the processes involved between
the assessment and how the government should take it. Mr Hawabhay
intervened and informed us that earlier during a presentation the
Minister of Technology, Communication and Innovation mentioned the
"Freedom of Information Act" and that should make it easier to access
information. Mr Hawabhay also acknowledged that some of the acts need to
be revamped and asked for the collaboration of all stakeholders,
mentioning the private sector, user groups and civic developers.

​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.
- I blog at HACKLOG.in.