Re: 2015 SCJ 177

From: Daniel Laeng <daniel_at_laeng.org>
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2015 17:05:19 +0400

Hi Dhiruj,

> It's the facts that count.
Yes, but facts are difficult to get hold of in Mauritius. Your
arguments are not exactly overflowing with facts (neither are mine), so
opinion is all we have.

I think we agree on on the base concept: *Data is useful, and has large
economic potential*. I think we disagree on two things:
1. I doubt the government's ability to control the collection and
management of personal data in a responsible way.
2. I think the economic value of collecting personal data is fairly low
(and the cost high) compared to other IT data initiatives

> It has to be done by professional companies, with experience,
> knowledge and integrity.
I agree, it also has to be covered by privacy legislation, and
supervised by the government. I'm not convinced those companies exist
currently in Mauritius, and I don't think that privacy laws or controls
are in place yet either. Until they are implemented, and somewhat
proven, I'll be arguing against most forms of personal data collection.

> though we can compare to Europe, Asia etc, or quote this case or that
> case.. or we can say "according to so-and-so", I do not find it
> advantageous to make such comparisons.
I think it's useful to learn from the successes and failures of other
countries, and we're being negligent if we don't take them into
consideration before jumping into expensive and invasive data collection
projects.

> In a nutshell what I'm trying to say is quite simply we have
> everything at our disposal to take whatever we need to, head-on, with
> an approach suited to the size of our island and the minimal physical
> resources we have.
I agree. But I don't understand why you think collection of personal
data is a magic solution to propel Mauritius into the future. I think
there are lots of other IT initiatives which would be more beneficial.

I would much rather see effort being put into the government opening up
some of the masses of data it already collected. This can be done at
relatively low costs, and the potential benefits are quite large. (See
all the previous emails about Open Government Data)

> I understand a lot of what I say may sound controversial, stupid or
> what have you, but I'm not in the business of delving in the academics
> of things. That's for useless university professors who will tell you
> we'll all die in year 5000.
Are you sure it's university professors you are talking to?

I'm not talking about academic things. You are trying to force me into
providing my biometric data, but I do not feel that (a) there is a clear
need for my data, or (b) that my data will be adequately protected.

> ps: And to specifically answer a question. Yes, bodily functions can
> be monitored, with the results sent from one's home to a hospital....
> and yes... the idea was patented and held by.a mauritian doctor now
> living in the UK.
I'm not debating that this technology exists. I also have no problem
with technology being implemented when it solves a problem, but do want
to have control over my personal data. In this case it means I'm fine
with being monitored by technology, and the data being shared with the
hospital. I would not be happy if that data was shared with anybody
else. My right to this level of privacy needs to be agreed to by the
hospital, and covered by privacy laws.

Question for you. You indicated this is a Mauritian technology, and I
assume that it is not implemented in Mauritius. Do you think that it's
not implemented because:
a) Crazy privacy people (like me) blocked it
or b) It didn't make sense in a Mauritian context (e.g. price,
availability, cultural fit, technical expertise)

My money is on option b).

Cheers,

Dan.

--