RE: 2015 SCJ 177

From: Shelly Hermia Bhujun <shelly_hermia_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2015 22:02:45 +0400

Hello,
I have the following questions :
1.How can we be sure that the Biometric database will be destroyed?
2.There are some companies in Mauritius which uses Fingerprint and Facial recognition. Is that Legal? If the person refuse to provide their biometric data, there job application will be rejected. So, is it really the person's fault to agree to such conditions applied by the company? I don't think it'll be such an easy choice, especially if the person has a family. This approach will influence not only one person but a whole group and this is the culture that some companies might adopt because in would be benefit them. What is the data protection commissioner doing about it?
3.If not, is there anybody to verify that these companies are following the data protection act?I know that some companies have audits.
4.Normally, there are inspection in companies to verify whether they are in compliance with the law, if they did there job, why are these companies still using these biometric data?
Regards.