Re: 2015 SCJ 177

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jun 2015 07:33:29 -0700

Hi Dan,
At 01:17 06-06-2015, Daniel Laeng wrote:
>Actually yes I do, and I'm not alone. The European governments have
>intervened several times in Facebook's and Google's data
>collection. What is the Mauritian governments track record? What
>are the policies here?

If I am not mistaken the lack of intervention is because there hasn't
been any complaints. I asked the Data Protection Commissioner
whether it is possible to file a complaint against Facebook and her
answer was yes. In Mauritius, we rely on the Irish Data Protection
Commissioner for privacy issues with Facebook Ireland Limited. The
Data Protection Office has not done anything about Google's data
collection. I asked Microsoft about the privacy policy for its Azure
Cloud. I did not receive any answer yet.

That track record in matters of data protection is not
impressive. Policies seem to be viewed as stuff which you should not
ask about as there is some authority out there which is looking out
for your best interests.

>I do not know how secure my information is in the bank or hospital,
>and I'm sure it could be improved. Since I consider it reasonable
>for my hospital to have access to my health data, I accept the risks
>that come with that. In other countries any data breaches are
>treated very seriously, and there are forced disclosure laws in
>place. I don't know what the laws and practices are like here.

There hasn't been any disclosures in response to data
breaches. There isn't any practice.