Mauritius Open Data Readiness Assessment

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 21:34:31 +0400

Dear Mr Hawabhay,

Hope you're doing well.

For the past few days I went through various webpages on govmu.org. My
aim was to look for information already available. As mentioned in my
email on 25 May 2015, I am interested in the use of ICT in education &
Government offices.

Page 17 of the National Broadband Policy[1] 2012 - 2020 states the following :

"Primary schools: At the end of March 2010, it is reported by the SM
that the percentage of primary schools providing Internet access to
students for study purposes increased to 56% from 20% in 2009. The
number of students per computer improved to 27 in 2010 compared to 25
in 2009."

On page 14 of the same document, there is a graph with source cited as
ICTA 2012.

I had a look at NICTSP[2] 2011 - 2014 and it also mentions figures.
Both documents have obtained data from ICTA and Statistics Mauritius.

I visited Statistics Mauritius[3] and there are three documents (PDF,
Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel) that provide ICT statistics for
the year 2013. These documents contain interpreted data (percentages,
ratio etc). It is difficult to re-use the information since it is not
raw. If I am required to write an analysis I will have to rely on what
has been already interpreted.

I visited the Statistics Mauritius Data Portal[4], did a "data search"
and queried the word "ict". There was only 1 result which is "value
added in the ICT sector as a percentage of GDP". It was a chart which
I could either print or export in the following formats:

- XLSX
- DOCX
- PPTX
- PDF

The above formats are not "open" and the percentages reflect processed
rather than raw data.

Grateful if datasets pertaining to Information & Communication
Technologies currently held by the ICT Authority and Statistics
Mauritius could be made available.

[1] http://mtci.govmu.org/English/Documents/NationalBroadband.pdf
[2] http://mtci.govmu.org/English/Documents/NICTSP20112014.pdf
[3] http://statsmauritius.govmu.org/English/StatsbySubj/Pages/ICT-Statistics-Year-2013-.aspx