Re: Mauritius Open Data Readiness Assessment

From: Rajnish Hawabhay <rhawabhay_at_govmu.org>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 16:59:01 +0400

Dear Mr Moonesamy

Your email contains a number of requests for datasets that would bring
value to the you and the community at large. I will share them with the
World Bank officers so that they can better prepare for the Open Data
Readiness Assessment exercise.

Please keep sending your requests as these will help guide the way forward
and produce an Open Data platform that responds to citizen and business
needs.

Kindly share your contact number so that we can link up in view of the
forthcoming exercise.

Regards
Rajnish Hawabhay

On 5/26/15, 3:09 PM, "S Moonesamy" <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

>Dear Mr Hawabhay,
>At 08:41 25-05-2015, Rajnish Hawabhay wrote:
>>We will soon post a link to Open Data concept on the website of the
>>ministry.
>
>Thank you for reverting back to me. I would be grateful if you could
>send the link to the Mauritius Internet Users once the information
>is available on the web site of the Ministry.
>
>>The readiness assessment will provide a valuable consultative
>>platform to identify datasets that need to be released because
>>demand exists for them. However, we are thinking of starting with
>>budget, labour and other stats that are already in public domain but
>>need to be structured to confirm to Open Data principles.
>
>Publishing datasets about the budget and labour as Open Data is
>useful as there are organisations outside Mauritius which monitor the
>economy and employment. I am interested in datasets which could be
>used to provide information which people in Mauritius can relate to:
>
> Exchange Rates - this dataset can be used by web site selling
>products or services
> Schools - this dataset is useful to people interested in analyzing
>the distribution
> of students in primary, secondary, and tertiary schools.
> Crime - this dataset can provide a view of crime trends
> Road accidents - this dataset might be used to create awareness
>about road safety
> Consumer Prices - this dataset can be used to inform the consumer
>about the prices
> of consumer products which are currently
>monitored by government
> Water - this dataset is to monitor the water levels in the reservoirs
> Weather - this dataset is to provide people with information about
>temperature, rainfall
> wind conditions, etc.
> Bus Tariff - this dataset can be used to provide information about bus
>fares
> Bus Routes - this dataset can be used to provide information about
>public
> transportation
>
>It is not possible to explore the possibilities of Open Data without
>access to geographic information as some applications require
>interactive maps for data visualization.
>
>I share the view that Open Government Data will be fulfilling only if
>we can keep the dialogue going and if the government can provide
>datasets that are valuable to people in Mauritius.
>
>Regards,
>S. Moonesamy

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for
the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and
may contain information that is non-public, proprietary,
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under
applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product.
that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this
communication in error, notify us immediately by telephone and
(i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message
immediately if this is an electronic communication.

Thank you.