Re: Representative

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 16:35:50 +0000

On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 3:37 PM, Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in> wrote:
> Hi SM,
>

> Ikey Doherty[1] in UK started as an unpaid developer for the Linux Mint
> project, then started his own Linux distribution, until his talent was
> recognized and Intel hired him.
>
> [1] https://github.com/ikeydoherty

Now, he's paid to work on Tizen(samsung/intel partnership). I think
that it's important to draw a line between his unpaid work (His Linux
distribution, which he later decided to abandon), and his work at
Intel, which is a different distribution focused on embedded devices.

I think that a better example would be Alan Cox, who started hacking
on the Linux networking stack when he was in University, continued it
as a hobby, and then got hired by RedHat to do his hobby on a
full-time basis.

The important point here is that Alan is not being paid out of
generosity. His work on the network stack was critical to push Linux
on servers for high performance traffic, which allowed RedHat to
remain competitive in the face of strong competition from Windows NT
and Solaris, back when the web was exploding. That's a common story
for many US/EU Linux developers. RedHat could not afford to have its
competitive advantage be a guy who hacks in his spare time.

In Mauritius, I have not observed this phenomenon, despite the huge
potential of the market :)