Re: Désintoxication digitale

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 10:30:00 +0400

Hello SM,

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 10:09 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

> In my opinion, the next generation is more connected than the current
> generation. It has an impact on socialization. Can people in Mauritius
> stay offline for 72 hours? My answer would be yes as it is generally not
> used for primary needs.

​I do not know in which "generation" you would categorize me, but being
offline for 72 hours is next to impossible for me. I am a full-time Systems
Engineer working in research. When I say "re​search" that means I find
(or improv
​e​
existing)
​ ​
solutions to
​ problems. It involves studying existing works and it would be very
difficult without this global network called the "Internet".

Next, in my free time, I am a blogger. When I say blogging, I can't do that
offline. Besides I blog a lot about information technology. I can't rely on
local newspapers and magazines to keep my knowledge up to date about the
tech world. I need Internet.

I am a social person staying in touch with my folks; be it for community
activities or a casual chit-chat. Doing that offline will increase my phone
bill (which I hate).

Keeping me offline for 72 hours would mean I would not work in the real
sense. Oh. I may code a little bit without the need of going on the
Internet but it does affect my productivity.

In my free time, instead of blogging you could then find me playing chess
against the computer. I don't know if I could call that being productive.

​Cheers,​

--
​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.