Re: Le Web 4.0

From: Appadoo Dave <azezezaaa_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 01:53:23 +0400

Hello people
At 05:25 12-05-2015, Shelly Hermia Bhujun wrote:

> Last time i commented on the ex-machina article, there was a picture where
> you could see the robot's facial expression...as if it could really feel
> and understand what it was touching-just like a human. The purpose of
> designing such robots is to facilitate human to robot interaction. I guess
> its because it is more easy to communicate with something that is visually
> similar/ looks like humans.

To me, the idea of a humanoid robot amazing and chilling at the same
time. Here's an article about ChihiraAico
<http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/tokyo-lifelike-humanoid-robot-woman-chihiraaico-directs-customers-around-department-store-video-1497340>,
a humanoid robot which can interact with and guide customers around in a
store. This humanoid robot is able to make specific gestures and able to
communicate in Japanese *sign language. *This sort of technology could be
used not just for guiding around customers, but also as a rehab system or
with disabled people.
Maybe in a distant (or not-too distant) future, humanoids could actually
be out of the uncanny valley.

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 6:37 PM, Amaelle Lamusse <lamusse.amaelle_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> Good evening everyone :-)
>
> Hope you all had a rocking day ! In her previous message, Shelly wrote
> that perhaps it was easier to communicate with something that would be
> visually similar to us. This is a fact. The funny part though is that human
> beings themselves create artificial intelligence that they later feel hard
> to relate to as difference quite often leads to fear.

This reminds me of HAL9000 <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwBmPiOmEGQ>;
an AI whose actions couldn't be predicted and hence, the fear of it.
On another note, the Her <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzV6mXIOVl4> movie
portrays an AI OS capable of forming a relationship with a human being and
rapid learning about the world and humans. The movie shows how people grow
attached to their OS, accepting even if the AI is different humans can
still bond with it. Also, imagine you walking down a road and everyone else
is busy with their respective AI OS.

> In "Avengers : Age of Ultron" where an artificial intelligence initially
> created to foster peace turns out to be vehement and harmful, Ultron,
> talking about humans, declares :
> "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of
> war, invaders create avengers. People create... smaller people? Uhh...
> children! [...] Children, designed to supplant them..."

(This was a brilliant James Spadest line)
I feel like this movie points out that an evil AI overlord is a result of
its creator's emotions and state of mind. It's more plausible to think that
Ultron's hatred towards humans come from Tony Stark's personality and the
data from the Avenger's database, since the same tool/technology was used
to create the samaritan~esque The Vision AI.

> I came across an article today (
> http://www.franceinfo.fr/emission/nouveau-monde/2014-2015/les-robots-le-chomage-et-les-emplois-de-2030-11-05-2015-06-50
> - in French though-) talking about robots, unemployment and jobs of the
> future. The article states that robots are everywhere now and that no
> matter how hard we may try, there won't be any turning back. In France and
> the United States, nearly 50 % of jobs will disappear in the next 20 years
> because of the robot revolution. Other jobs will certainly be created (at
> the end of the day, these robots will still need to be created or to go
> through maintenance though scientists are now working on robots able to
> take care of these aspects as well) but in the end we have launched a
> process that we might totally lose control over.

imo Robots replacing manual labor isn't really a bad thing. Yes,
unemployment rate might spike up, but this will more or less call for a
small revolution in society; how we perceive unemployment and how we should
accept it and how currency needs to be redefined.
It would be great if robot revolution came through 100%; imagine having
robots to do your menial work, tend to your garden and vegetables, do your
laundry and your work. This would mean having more time on one's hand and
the cost of living drastically changed. One could pursue other fields or
ideas instead of being tied to an 8 hour job.
Robots taking over jobs could be a giant step towards singularity too.

> Maybe we think that by designing human-like robots, we'll feel less scared
> and more at ease. The naked truth is they remain artificial whatever we may
> do. And who knows up to what point we'll actually be able to keep our
> creation under control...

Here <http://what-if.xkcd.com/5/>'s an article on a robot apocalypse and
what are humanities odds in case they go beyond our control.

Cheers,
EVad