Re: Mauritius to be connected to a third Fibre Cable

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 02:20:06 -0700

Hello,
At 01:32 12-05-2015, Irshaad Abdool wrote:
>I came across an article [1] mentioning that Mauritius will be
>connected to a 3rd Fibre Optic Cable and this will help to increase
>the Internet connectivity speed and also lower prices.
>
>Can people in the field confirm whether a 3rd cable will be able to
>bring those changes. Thank you.

There was an announcement about the third submarine Fiber Optic cable
in March. Having a third cable will not increase the speed of
internet access in Mauritius. I sent an email to the Information and
Communication Technologies Authority to enquire about the tariff
analysis for internet service providers on 14 April. I am waiting
for a reply. The analysis would help to understand what is
preventing consumers in Mauritius from being charged a lower price
for internet access.