Re: Notes of meeting of the Multistakeholder Forum

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 22:41:48 -0700

Hi Nadim, Jean-Philippe,

At 21:55 23-04-2015, Jean-Philippe Caussin de Perceval wrote:
>L'association est la meilleure solution et la plus representative.

The problem is more about how an association is constituted. The
members of the .mu Select Committee approved a proposal which
recommended a neutral status for the legal entity for the following reasons:

   (i) fair treatment to everyone in Mauritius

   (ii) does not confer special status to the government or any group

If the above recommendation is followed there should not be any board
members nominated by a minister or a ministry. As Nadim mentioned,
having nominated members will lead to a situation where those members
implement the agenda of the government and it may not be in the
interest of general internet users.

In the previous proposal and the one which I wrote, there is the following:

   The current state of affairs is that the existing .mu private entity and
   the existing laws "are in breach of ccTLD international practices as those
   two ccTLD frameworks do not allow the local Internet Community (Mauritius)
   to have any say on the policy, technical and commercial functions of the
   dot mu ccTLD."

None of the persons at the meeting looked into whether what was being
suggested during the meeting was "in breach of ccTLD international
practices". Examples of existing legal entities (in Mauritius) were
provided without a proper explanation of how those associations
fulfill what is written in the proposal.