Re: Presentation at Developers Conference

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2015 16:43:07 +0000

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 4:30 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Shelly, Ish and I gave a presentation about the Mauritius Internet Users at
> the Developers Conference. We started the session one minute late and ended
> on time. My presentation of the two initiatives was not satisfactory as it
> took longer than I planned for. A number of persons commented that the
> price of a .mu domain name was too expensive. There were several questions
> about the 100 Mbps local internet access initiative. Ish and I explained
> why 100 Mbps was suggested instead of, for example, 50 Mbps. We were asked
> how 100 Mbps would improve the internet in Mauritius. Ish replied by using
> youtube.com as an example. Shelly talked about the case of the pink tote.
> We then covered topics such as latency and security.

Thank you SM, Ish and Shelly for such a brillant presentation. I
couldn't attend it, but I'm very happy when I read about it !

> There was a comment that a bank web site was not safe because it used Open
> Source Software. We did not respond to the comment as the discussion would
> take us off-topic. The responses to the question about online banking was
> interesting.

With Open Source, you get the source code of the product, but you
still need an Open Source Driver to pilot the car in the mad race
against crackers on the internet :)

If they have an inexperienced Open Source sailor, their ship is going
to sink. Hire smart people, don't be cheap :)