Re: Meeting on Multi-Stakeholder Forum

From: Ish Sookun <ish_at_hacklog.in>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 18:09:13 +0400

Hello Logan,

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 3:51 PM, Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
wrote:

> 1) Hiring an ICANN board member constitutes a conflict of Interest.

​I agree on this.​

> 2) Repeating the same mistakes of the past. We should be learning from
> our mistakes, and not repeat them. ICTA already attempted to hire a
> foreign expert in the past, and he wasn't able to make any progress.

​There isn't much information available publicly to ascertain their level
of progress. If ICTA didn't go ahead, then why they didn't? There is a lack
of transparency on what happened and what was decided.

> 3) The Local Internet Community are against the idea of a foreign
> expert, when we have local people who can do the job.

​Agreed. However, the Multistakeholder Forum appears to be needing a strong
"assurance" on the technical proposal. I think they trust "foreign
consultants" more than local fellows.

For the sake of information, isn't the Government Web Portal advised &
designed by foreigners?​

> 4) There is a difference between a ccTLD and a TLD. We cannot solve
> the .mu issue by moving to a generic TLD.

​The people from the Government seem to agree that "govmu.org" isn't
aesthetic. They discomfort is clearly seen.​

​Regards,​

--
​Ish Sookun
- Geek by birth, Linux by choice.