Re: Notes of meeting of the Multistakeholder Forum

From: Benoit Gentil <benoit_at_fodytechnologies.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:08:25 +0400

Hi,

Please find my comments below:

On 22/04/2015 13:56, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I attended a meeting of the Multistakeholder Forum at 10:00 a.m
> today. I am sending my personal notes of that meeting.
>
> The meeting was chaired by the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of
> Technology, Communication and Innovation. I gave a presentation of
> the work of the .mu Select Committee. There was a discussion about
> what legal form the not-for-profit entity should have. Mr A.
> Radhakissoon commented that it could be an association or a society,
> or a company. I commented that a company would look the same as the
> current .mu entity. There were comments about examples of
> associations, e.g. the Mauritius Turf Club. After discussion, there
> was agreement about having an association. Mr A. Radhakissoon and two
> other members of the forum were chosen to work on the by-laws of the
> association.
>
> There were a question about whether the technical proposal would
> work. I commented that the .mu Select Committee evaluated the
> technical aspect to see whether it would work and it is up to the
> not-for-profit entity to see how to implement the technical part. This
> was followed by a question about whether there was the technical
> expertise in Mauritius to implement a .mu registry. Mr T. Dabeesing
> proposed hiring Mr Chris Disspain as he is from auDA (Australia) and
> he is an ICANN board member. I commented that it was up to the
> not-for-profit entity to decide about whether it needs a consultant.
> I asked for my objection to be put in the minutes. The Chair
> suggested that the ICTA hires and pays for the consultant. I did not
> raise any objection about that as it would be a decision of the ICTA.

There is no need to have a foreign expert to come and work on
implementing the .MU Registry, this is a waste of public money. There
are enough technical persons in Mauritius who have experiences in DNS
and in administration of servers in Mauritius. Regarding the proposal of
Mr T. Dabeesing of hiring Mr Chris Disspain in order to facilitate
things with the .MU Redelegation, I object that the Government hire a
board member of ICANN as this is clearly a conflict of interest between
ICANN and the .MU Registry.

> The Chair mentioned that the Ministry will be changing the section of
> ICT Act where the Internet Management Committee is mentioned. I asked
> for not having anything in the act about .mu domain names as it was
> better not to cover that through that act or through (government)
> regulations. The Chair commented that there will provision in the
> next budget to finance a not-for-profit entity.
>
> I commented that there isn't any alternative if something went wrong
> with .mu and suggested implementing the technical aspect as a
> safeguard. It was mentioned that ICANN would help to get access to
> the .mu zone. I preferred not to make a formal comment about this
> matter.

The .MU ccTLD as it is actually has no obligation to escrow the data to
ICANN. There is no contract between ICANN and the .MU Registry forcing
them to do so. There is also no alternative to recover data in the event
of a complete .MU failure. A backup plan would need to be setup first
before going into the redelegation process with IANA.

Best Regards,
Benoit Gentil