Re: WebCup 2015 (was: Website security)

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 14:42:26 +0000

On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 2:10 PM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Logan,
> At 20:48 09-04-2015, Loganaden Velvindron wrote:
>>
>> The Webcup has been criticised in the past due to the criteria used to
>> grade websites. Have the webcup organizers take the negative feedback into
>> account for the next competition ?
>

> The above comment can be categorized as gossip. Can you provide some
> information so that a person can verify what is written above?

It was the comments that appears on fb, after the competition. Many
people claimed that they were disappointed by the choice of the number
1.

URL:http://blog.nirvan.pagooah.com/articles/webcup-2013-mauritius

Have a look at the comments here:
http://www.yashvinblogs.com/webcup-2013-maurice/

>> I read the article on "advantages" of cloud hosting, and I think that the
>> article was biased, as it showed only the good sides of cloud computing.
>

> The above is not related to the Webcup.

Indeed, you are right :-)

>> This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
>> represent those of my employers, either past or present.
>

> Why does that apply for your message while it does not apply for the message
> from Vincent Pollet?

The views here are my own. Vincent is free to put the footer of his liking :-D

I would like to clarify that I was involved both in web site
development for very large projects in Europe, spanning over multiple
servers in various countries. The pressure was immense, and I was
responsible for handling scalability as well as security on the
website. I saw our project manager getting yelled at over security
problems, and suddenly we went from focusing on correcting
performance, to scrambling to fix the security issues. That's a fact,
when you work on projects that are worth a lot of money. So, while I
understand how web agencies operate, I cannot blame them. I was
thinking more in terms of: "If I knew there would be security problem
later on, what could I have done ?" Propose to a client a security
contract on top of maintainance. Later we tried this, and it worked.
If the client doesn't sign up, at least you have made him aware of the
risks of him being cheap or just short on budget. They can budget for
it in the next year.