Re: Mauritius, a Cyber Island. A myth or reality?

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 10:44:12 +0400

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:29 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I read http://ict.io/mauritius-a-cyber-island-a-myth-or-reality/ There has
> been some discussion on this mailing about the barrier for mobile payments
> systems. Several persons on this list complained that Infotech is better
> suited to consumers instead of people who are interested in technology. The
> CEO of an ISP stated that he could not find prospective employees at local
> universities.

Which ISP is that ? Orange ?

I wish Orange would fund local universities with better
infrastructure, then it can expect better graduates.

> A large part of the information technology business is about business
> process outsourcing and call centers. It has helped the island to move
> ahead within the region. Is Mauritius ahead of other countries in the

It's because of the short learning curve. It takes 2-3 months to get
someone to speed.

> region in the field of technology? My guess is yes. The island is lagging
> behind in comparison to Europe. I have not seen any local company being
> described as an example to follow.

The reason is that It takes much more time to get someone to speed for
doing advanced software engineering work. Suppose a company wants to
build appliances with Linux and Android in Mauritius. Where will they
find engineers who understand boot loader code, ARM CPU and MMU
infrastructure, and Network stack code ?

Those advanced software engineering skills take a long term to acquire
and have steep learning curves, and require special equipment such as
SoC board for effective learning.

(The embedded android market is exploding, but we are in short supply
of android developers, and people who can actually modify android to
fit customer's needs. Other countries such as China and India are
rapidly positioning themselves in the upcoming smarphone/tablet market
race. Mauritius is severely lagging behind)

> By the way, it looks like the one Mbps ISP package will be increased to five
> Mbps. That will have a positive impact on information technology if
> businesses understand how to make use of it.

URL of that press release ?

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.