Re: Fridge caught sending spam emails in botnet attack

From: Loganaden Velvindron <loganaden_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 18:40:48 +0000

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 5:55 PM, chitz <chittra.03_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.cnet.com/news/fridge-caught-sending-spam-emails-in-botnet-attack/
>
> The attack sent out over 750,000 spam emails, in bursts of 100,000 emails at
> a time, three times a day, with no more than 10 emails sent from any one IP
> address, making them difficult to block. Over 25 per cent of the emails were
> sent from devices that weren't conventional computers or mobile devices. It
> is the first documented case of common appliances being used in a cyber
> attack -- but that doesn't necessarily mean it was the first time it
> occurred, and it certainly won't be the last.

If you look closely at those embedded devices you will noticed how
much of their core code is based on Open Source software :-)

You could trick those devices if you have malicious javascript code
running on a machine within the same network. e.g laptop.

I'm not saying that Open Source is not secure. You still need a
security engineer who will analyze the firmware, and think of ways of
hardening it.

--
This message is strictly personal and the opinions expressed do not
represent those of my employers, either past or present.