Notes of meeting with .mu registrars

From: S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 04:47:59 -0700

Dear Mr Gorden,

I would like to thank the Ministry of Technology, Communication and
Innovation for provide its conference room for a meeting with .mu
registrars. I had a meeting with the .mu registrars on 13
March. Jude Rabbani from mauritius.biz and Stephanie Lan from
registrar.mu were unable to attend the meeting. There were only two
.mu registrars, Benoit Gentil from Fody Technologies and Neetish
Khorugdharry from Cybernaptics at the meeting.

I gave a presentation about "whether there is a .mu problem" as an
introduction. I then asked for the .mu registrars to comment about
the topic. Benoit Gentil considered that USD 50 for a .mu domain
name is quite expensive. He commented that there isn't a margin to
sell .mu domain name to clients. He mentioned that there is USD 50
transfer fee and a USD 50 renewal free for a registrant to transfer a
.mu domain name. Benoit Gentil considered the lack of automation
between .mu registrars as a problem; it sometimes takes several days
to get a .mu domain transferred from one .mu registrar to the
other. There wasn't a proper accreditation process for .mu
registrars; anyone with more than 50 .mu domain names can become a
registrar. He also mentioned that there isn't a grace period after a
domain name expires. In his opinion, there wasn't any technical
problem with .mu.

Neetish Khorugdharry did not notice any major technical issues. He
commented that there was a problem with www.nic.mu web site which
lasted several days last year. The renewal of a domain name can only
be done on the day the domain name expires. He considered that as a problem.

At the end of the meeting I asked the .mu registrars whether they are
of the opinion that there is a .mu problem and they agreed that there
was a problem.

Benoit Gentil and I met Frederic de Comarmond from goCloud in the
afternoon as he was unable to attend the meeting. We discussed about
the .mu ccTLD. Frederic de Comarmond commented that the issues are
due to a communication problem between the .mu registry and the .mu
registrars. He suggested that the .mu registrars have a meet the .mu
registry to discuss about their problems. At the end of that meeting
I asked him whether there was a .mu problem. Frederic de Comarmond
stated that there isn't a .mu problem.

I received comments by email from the .mu registrars mentioned
below. There is also a summary of the views of the .mu registrars.

I would like to thank the following .mu registrars for providing
comments about whether there is a .mu problem:

   Cybernaptics
   Fody Technologies Ltd
   goCloud
   ICY Evolution
   LEGEKKO INFO LTD
   Register.mu

Based on the views expressed there isn't agreement that there is a
problem with .mu.

Some of the .mu registrars find the existing system satisfactory. A
few .mu registrars expressed some concern about the existing
system. Several .mu registrars commented that the price for a .mu
domain name is expensive. There were comments about the process to
transfer a .mu domain name from one .mu registrar to another .mu
registrar; it can be a short process or a long process. A .mu
registrar mentioned that there isn't any body providing supervision
or any body to turn to for guidance.

There is currently a .mu Select Committee which has been set up to:

   (a) formalise the Multi-Stakeholder Forum; and

   (b) work out a Governance Framework for the .mu ccTLD by end of March 2015;

Mr Gentil is representing the .mu registrars on the Select
Committee. Please contact Mr Gentil if your company is interested in
(a) or (b).