Re: Technology

From: Vy-Shane Sin Fat <shane_at_node.mu>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:17:26 +0800

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 4:10 AM, S Moonesamy <sm+mu_at_elandsys.com> wrote:

At 12:02 11-03-2015, Ish Sookun wrote:

>> Though I'm not much an Apple-person, I just keep track of things through
>> the tweets. I did not watch the Keynote but only read the Macbook review
>> when it appeared on TheNextWeb[1]. Apple Watch? I don't wear watches.
>>

> I saw one of your comments about the internet of things. The Apple Watch
> may be related to that. I was not interested in buying the watch. I guess
> that I look at technology differently than, for example, an open sauce
> person. :-) The Macbook review you mentioned does not have much
> information. There is a better review at http://www.macworld.co.uk/
> review/mac-laptops/new-2015-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-preview-3601221/

The MacWorld article is about the updated MacBook Pros, whereas Ish linked
to an article about the new 12" MacBook (new model). Yeah, it's hard to
keep track of Apple's lineup these days. It used to be the MacBook and the
MacBook Pro, and now it's become:

   - MacBook (new 12", with Retina display)
   - MacBook Airs (non-Retina)
   - MacBook Pro (13", non-Retina)
   - MacBook Pros (with Retina)

It doesn't help that Apple keeps repurposing the names, and changing the
 price points as new generations come out. The original MacBook Air was
super expensive when it was released (more so than the Pros). The MacBook
Air is now Apple's inexpensive model. That title used to be for the
MacBook, which used to have a plastic enclosure until it was redesigned as
a 13" laptop with a unibody aluminium chassis. This chassis was then used
for the MacBook Pros, and the 13" unibody MacBook became the 13" MacBook
Pro. The 13" non-Retina MacBook Pro now looks exactly as the original 13"
unibody MacBook, which looks like the current 13" Retina MacBook Pro minus
an optical drive.